Saturday, February 11, 2012

Footprints in My Heart

In my life, I have been blessed with so many wonderful people who have touched my heart or contributed to who I am.  This post is dedicated to them.  There are so many that I could write about here, but there is one person that I want to focus on.

The first is a wonderful friend that I have recently reunited with.  Background story:  During my childhood years, my family did a lot of moving around.  At one point, when I was in first grade, we lived in North Salt Lake.  There I become best friends with a gal named Natalie.  We were inseparable!  Well, as the story goes, my family once again picked up its roots and planted them in North Carolina.  I was so sad to leave behind such a wonderful friend!  We wrote over the years and tried to keep up with each other, but it is very hard to stay in touch with friends--especially since we were six when we knew each other.  In sixth grade, my family moved to Provo and here I saw Natalie once!  She surprised me by showing up on my doorstep.  To my pre-teen self, that was the best thing that could happen.

Time goes on...and I haven't seen Natalie in what accumulated to 7 years.  Her dad was called as a mission president for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, so that took her out of the country for 3 years.  We wrote a few times, but once again, it was very hard to stay in touch.  Now we come to August 2010, and I am standing on the fields for New Student Orientation at BYU.  All of sudden, some random gorgeous girl is standing in front of me going, "Rachel?  Rachel.  Rachel!"  I stared at her, recognizing her face somewhat but not knowing who this random person was.  Then it clicked--it was grown-up Natalie!  I screamed then tackled her with a hug.  It is amazing--after 14 years, we were still overjoyed when we see each other.  We exchanged numbers then parted ways.

A few months go by and I would see Natalie randomly around campus.  Whenever we did see each other, we would plan to hang out--all those plans fell through.  And so another year goes by.

This past Monday, after having a somewhat difficult week, I came home from Family Home Evening with some neighbors and was ready to just crash.  I walked outside to get the mail when I noticed a paper taped to the door.  I see my name written on it so I grab it.  Who should it be from?  Natalie!  She had found where I was living and came by to see me.  She left her number on the paper, so I texted her right away.  We planned for lunch and ta-da!  We have now seen each other everyday since that lunch.  It is amazing how people can come and go in your life, but some people never really leave.  After 15 years of not really seeing each other or knowing what is happening in our lives, you would think that time would separate us.  This is not the case!  I feel as though that friendship we formed all those years ago has not only stayed in tact, but has enabled us to stay strong friends.  She truly is one of those people who has left footprints in my life because of her friendship.

It amazes me how Heavenly Father can guide people into my life.  I have become more and more aware of His Hands in my life, and I am grateful every day for that reassurance that our lives are in God's Hands.  He will never allow us to falter or fall.  He blesses us with angels in the form of lifelong friends and family.  He gives us all the help we need in all circumstances in life.  He truly is One that has left footprints in my heart.

2 comments:

  1. Rach!!!! That is AWESOME!!!! Reconnecting with friends IS the BEST!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachy, you are amazing. I also want to meet Natalie...Does she like to wobble?

    ReplyDelete