Friday, February 24, 2012

Big or Small, Change Always Occurs...

Change: a word that I have constantly shirked.  Maybe it has something to do with the many times my family moved around the country, but I have never been one to agree with change in my life.  I've always tended to resist the flow.  Sometimes, however, you have no control over that flow...

Two and a half months ago, the biggest change in my life occurred.  My younger brother, the baby of the family, died from a very sudden accident at the age of 13.  This singular event has altered me to the very core.  Right after it happened, I knew I had two choices.  The first of these was to go off the deep end and be completely justified because of the loss I had experienced.  I could be angry or bitter and nobody would blame me for my actions.  The second choice was completely the opposite.  This choice involved a complete reliance upon the One whom I could always rely on--the Savior, King of kings, Redeemer of my soul.

On the night of my brother's passing, I knew that there was no way I would ever consider the first choice.  I knew that road would only lead to misery and self-destruction.  The knowledge I have of the Gospel was my rock in that moment of pure mentally debilitating sadness.  As I considered the long road of healing that lay ahead of my family, I knew fear.  I knew that in order to overcome this, it would require complete faith and trust that healing would occur as we all relied upon the Savior.

To make a long story short, I have learned more over the past 2 and a half months about love, healing, reliance, family, and--most of all--the enabling power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  It has amazed me that my Heavenly Father has been there every step of the way.  He guides me, carries me, and uplifts me by granting peace and comfort that could come from no other source.  When I really learned about the way the Savior can help, I was given an analogy that went something like this:

The Master has two ways He can come to our aide.  When the storm rocked the ship and caused the passengers to cry out in angst, the Savior rose and calmed the storm raging around His disciples.  He calmed the raging waters, the howling wind, and the pouring rain.  That is one way He aides us.  The second way involves the raging storm around the ship as well--in this case, however, the Savior does not calm the storm.  What He never fails to do is to climb aboard the ship, wrap His arms around us, and hold close as the storm rages on.  He comforts us and protects us from the harm that can occur, but both storms can change us and transform us into who He sees in us if we rely upon Him and look to Him for comfort and counsel.

Change occurs in many forms--moving, family additions, illness, and perhaps the most fears is the death of a loved one.  Whenever these great changes occur, we will be presented with the same two choices I had when I lost my dear little brother.  My hope, through this post, is that I can influence more to make the second choice.  It is scary to rely upon pure faith and hope that what you have been taught is true, but I can promise you this--if you make the second choice, the Savior will never allow you to flounder.  He is always there, extending His arm of mercy to us.  As soon as we call out to Him, He wastes no time--He will always run to our aide.

3 comments:

  1. You write about things that are beyond your years!!! Thank you for your example to me and for your faith--your mother loves you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful Rachel. You are such an incredible example!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing that beautiful message. I agree with Katie, you are a wonderful example :)

    ReplyDelete